To implement the United Nations Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development in an Arctic Ocean context, a Task Force is presently preparing the development of an Arctic Ocean Action Plan.
This process is a part of a global preparation process for the Ocean Decade, and will offer an opportunity for stakeholders to formulate, discuss and prioritize concrete proposals for actions in support of the Ocean Decade.
The development of an Arctic Ocean Action Plan process will include workshops centered around the societal goals of the Ocean Decade and provide stakeholders with the opportunity to:
- Network with other Arctic actors from science, governance, industry and NGOs to identify key shared Ocean Decade priorities for the Arctic Ocean.
- Participate directly in dedicated working groups to draft the key inputs to the Arctic Ocean Action Plan, including potential partnerships for Arctic activities that support the goals of the Ocean Decade. Participation in working groups include participation in at least two online meetings. Learn more about the workshop process
- Support the final drafting and presentation of the action plan.
The workshops will be hosted by the Danish Center for Marine Research in collaboration with the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC). The process has been slightly delayed due to COVID-19, but are now progressing again, after the adoption of a fully digital format.
Unlike the former Ocean Decade regional workshops, the Arctic process will take place after the adoption of the implementation plan by the UN General Assembly, and will thus have stronger focus on identifying and drafting actual realistic actions.
- 10 July 2020: Online registration for working groups opens.
- 20 August 2020: Online announcement of working group chairs.
- 25 September 2020: Online registration for working groups closes.
- 22 October 2020: Working group kick off meeting with additional meetings scheduled for 23. October, 5. November, and 18. November (if necessary).
- 16-17 March 2021: Online consultation on draft action plan.
- 22 March 2021: Presentation of action plan.
For more information, please visit https://www.oceandecade.dk/arctic-workshop